The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > F80 M3 Saloon / F82 M4 Coupe / F83 M4 Convertible

Old 18th May 2018, 02:41 PM   #1
K81M3
A mere Chipper

Car: M3 F80
Default Key Read Error

So as you may start to gather from my various posts, I'm buying a F80 M3, still going through the CP and non CP emotions.

However, just asked for a key read printout and there are two error codes which I have no idea about, both occurred on mileage 4171(car has total mileage of 4678)

00042 - Cont. driving possible: Brake System (Brake System: avoid hard braking, have the problem checked by the nearest service Centre)
00781 - Rear axle differential lock - (Rear axle differential lock reduced, you can continue driving. Have the problem checked by the nearest service Centre)

The sales guy mentioned there is no record of any work being carried out as a result, and no record of any warranty work.

Surely the previous owner would have had to go into the dealership to have it checked and cleared etc.

Any ideas what those error codes are, what would have caused them to ping up etc.

Thanks again all for your advice and help, can't wait to just get into one
K81M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 18th May 2018, 04:04 PM   #2
glynharper
Achieved official socks

Car: 2014 F82 M4 DCT
Colour Combo: Mineral White / Black Nappa Leather

I had similar errors on mine when I was thrashing it a bit on the TT course and the traction control kept kicking in. I think you can overwhelm the systems a bit.
I drove moderately (eventually) and everything went back to normal and cleared itself. So it sounds to me like it was just being pushed on that particular occasion.
glynharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 01:52 PM   #3
K81M3
A mere Chipper

Car: M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynharper View Post
I had similar errors on mine when I was thrashing it a bit on the TT course and the traction control kept kicking in. I think you can overwhelm the systems a bit.
I drove moderately (eventually) and everything went back to normal and cleared itself. So it sounds to me like it was just being pushed on that particular occasion.
Hmm so the code clears itself, and what kind of thrashing we taking about haha, Ive given these cars a bit of stick in the past, which no such issues.

Wondering if I should dismiss the car on this basis alone
K81M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 02:04 PM   #4
EAndy
Achieved official socks

Car: Magical Unicorn

00781 - Rear axle differential lock I've seen occur before on few cars because of sensor error where there has been a voltage drop.

I've also seen on Bimmerpost people saying the same when this error has appeared shortly after having a flat battery. Thats not to say what it is with the car in question but with modern cars all these different ECU's and sensors voltage drops can throw codes.

In these instances everyone has reported everything still drove and appeared normal.
EAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Scrubs
Wearing official underwear

Car: F82 Yas M4

I had my car in for these errors to get looked at last month. Turned out to be a wheel speed sensor needing replaced which was done under warranty.

No issues since then.
Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote