The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Other BMWs and other marques > 1 Series, 2 Series, 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series and 8 Series

Old 14th April 2018, 01:00 AM   #1
cocovs6
Wearing official robes

Car: E46 Estoril Blue M3 2004 Sold Now E39 M5
Default E46 front suspension knocking

On my old E46 320D saloon runabout I had front right shock leaking so decided to replace shocks, springs, mounts, droplinks, rubbers and bumpstops all round.

So basically everything on each strut replaced with new parts.

After refitting everything including drilling out bottom strut pinch bolt I am now getting knocking noise from the front.

The noise is only noticeable going over uneven surface such as bumpy or cobbled roads. No noise going over speed bumps or smoother roads. It appears to be coming from top mount area but can't see anything obvious.

As the mounts are new and the shim washer in correct position I am thinking possibly top nut not tightened enough when assembling new strut. Tried tightening top nut as it is but can't get anymore on it.

The knocking noise wasn't there before fitting new parts.

Any other suggestions?
cocovs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 18th April 2018, 12:44 PM   #2
YMBF80
Wearing official underwear

Car: N/A

Bushes?
YMBF80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 05:34 PM   #3
bennn
Achieved official socks

Car: B7 RS4 Avant
Colour Combo: Sprint Blue / Black

Might be daft but are you sure the noise isn't coming from the brakes. Sounds like it could be a lose back plate to me.
bennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2018, 08:27 AM   #4
Raif
Achieved official socks

Car: E92 M3

Sounds like you need to go over everything again mate. May have forgotten to torque up a nut. Did you use quality parts?
Raif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2018, 10:33 AM   #5
svvg
Achieved official socks

Car: E46 M3 SMG

Did you change the shocks themselves? Maybe they're faulty? Maybe FCAB/lollipop bushes or control arm ball joints? Can't be much else to look at?!
svvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2018, 09:33 PM   #6
cocovs6
Wearing official robes

Took strut back out and tightened everything up using proper strut nut socket and allen key. Put new top mount cover and shim washers in. Everything there appears as it should and no visible problems.

Only thing that is different is strut pinch bolt at bottom which I had to drill out so is now a bolt and nut job which is as tight as I can get it.

Brake shield is tight as I fixed that while working on suspension.

The noise seems to be coming from top mount area but they are brand new and seem ok.

I have new control arms and wheel bearings sitting waiting as I was planning to replace everything anyway but that noise wasn't there before I changed the suspension even with a knackered shock absorber on front right. That is what is baffling me.

Will probably fit the other new parts and then that will be everything done on the front apart from track rods. If still doing it then I am stumped.
Old 20th April 2018, 09:36 PM   #7
cocovs6
Wearing official robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by svvg View Post
Did you change the shocks themselves? Maybe they're faulty? Maybe FCAB/lollipop bushes or control arm ball joints? Can't be much else to look at?!
Bilstein shocks and springs. Genuine BMW rubbers on strut. Meyle HD drop links and top mounts. Meyle anti roll bar bushes