The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum
 

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3cutters Garage > Engine maintenance, upgrades and modifications



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2018, 11:45 PM   #21
Chady
Rocking a new hat
 
Chady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 525
Car: csl
Colour Combo: Sg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chady View Post
I’m in the process of rebuilding spare csl motor, all striped now, head work valves re lapped, crank hand polished, ready to go, compleat head gasket set £180. King race mains and rod. £280 from memory new rings £120 full set, was possibly thinking wossner pistons, But will may use stay with oem, open ended book on how far u go regarding parts. Have asked for feedback on parts in the past with little feedback,guessing most don’t go this far ..This is just a fun rebuild not serious race build , doesn’t seem much around on this subject
Anybody used these wossner 12.3.1 pistons std bore size, “”Any feedback welcome”” as they are slightly higher compression,any problems encountered???, I’d assume they would need to run minimum supper unleaded or possibly race fuel ???
Chady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 16th January 2018, 09:58 AM   #22
Iain
Achieved official socks
 
Iain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isle of man
Posts: 3,558
Car: AMG estate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chady View Post
Anybody used these wossner 12.3.1 pistons std bore size, “”Any feedback welcome”” as they are slightly higher compression,any problems encountered???, I’d assume they would need to run minimum supper unleaded or possibly race fuel ???
Not used them but your kind of asking the wrong questions as the CR will vary depending on what cam your using, obviously the static is the static but ultimately its the dynamic CR thats going to be doing the do, so depending on the overlap and duration of the cam your going to get a different result

That said, 12.3 is not all that high, it will be fine on 98, i would be more concerned with the valve clearance if the head has been skimmed, you may need to get the pockets milled.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 10:29 AM   #23
Chady
Rocking a new hat
 
Chady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 525
Car: csl
Colour Combo: Sg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Not used them but your kind of asking the wrong questions as the CR will vary depending on what cam your using, obviously the static is the static but ultimately its the dynamic CR thats going to be doing the do, so depending on the overlap and duration of the cam your going to get a different result

That said, 12.3 is not all that high, it will be fine on 98, i would be more concerned with the valve clearance if the head has been skimmed, you may need to get the pockets milled.
thanks for feedback Iain, Head hasn’t been skimmed std csl head and valves, it’s all just a learning curve for me with engine build. As mentioned previously this is spair csl motor, hopefully will try it in mine or the lads car,or better still possibly track car project Not sure which way to go regarding aftermarket internals pistons rods “open to suggestions”

Last edited by Chady; 16th January 2018 at 12:17 PM.
Chady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 03:25 PM   #24
Iain
Achieved official socks
 
Iain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isle of man
Posts: 3,558
Car: AMG estate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chady View Post
thanks for feedback Iain, Head hasn’t been skimmed std csl head and valves, it’s all just a learning curve for me with engine build. As mentioned previously this is spair csl motor, hopefully will try it in mine or the lads car,or better still possibly track car project Not sure which way to go regarding aftermarket internals pistons rods “open to suggestions”
Bear in mind you are going to have to skim it and probably skim the block, so thats going to shrink the clearance and raise CR unless you run a thicker head gasket.


in terms of engine internals i think its more what are you looking to achieve?

Ultimately what are you looking for, how many hours of run time? no point having a 14 hour engine if you are going to use it for trackdays.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 04:07 PM   #25
Chady
Rocking a new hat
 
Chady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 525
Car: csl
Colour Combo: Sg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Bear in mind you are going to have to skim it and probably skim the block, so thats going to shrink the clearance and raise CR unless you run a thicker head gasket.


in terms of engine internals i think its more what are you looking to achieve?

Ultimately what are you looking for, how many hours of run time? no point having a 14 hour engine if you are going to use it for trackdays.
hi Iain. Head and block are ok as it’s out of one of our csl’s My lad just bought a brand new engine from bmw. So it’s just a spare running engine , as we have two std csl engine ‘s the whole point is to build something with what’s available aftermarket internal parts , haven’t any real information to back anything up, so all feedback is welcome, if it blows no real issue, but saying that better to be fairly reliable, am guessing bmw made even the csl engine on the safe side , so ther maybe something to play with , nothing scientific about this to just see what happens with a few bits built into it. I’m thinking most homebuild motor,s are guesswork. Could always hand motor to engine builder but where ‘s the fun in that, as ever feedback good or bad welcome with what’s available out there
Chady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 09:35 PM   #26
Mrd1984
Wearing official underwear
 
Mrd1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oxford
Posts: 230
Car: 2001 laguna seca blue coupe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
bit of a backburner at the moment, i am mulling over the next big step, in terms of do i bore the block or not. I have excellent stock pistons that would be used with new rings and save me a lot of time and money. However the bores are not absolutely mint on the donor block (usable but not perfect) and i would quite like to up the compression, but the head had a heavy skim (for this reason) and i don't really want to run into clearance issues. Decisions decisions
Measure the block and see that the cylinders haven't gone out of round and just hone if all ok. It will save you a small fortune! Im pricing up pistons and rods still (will have the funds next month) and the prices are eye watering!

is this build just for road and occasional track use?

Im going to measure and see what to do. I'm not planning a turbo or supercharger so thats why I'm so interested in the cheaper rods. Still deciding on pistons too. I have almost found the end of the internet searching for just these 2 components!

Chady you are a lucky man!! Sounds like you've got access to all the good bits mate! good luck!
Mrd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 09:45 PM   #27
Mrd1984
Wearing official underwear
 
Mrd1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oxford
Posts: 230
Car: 2001 laguna seca blue coupe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chady View Post
Anybody used these wossner 12.3.1 pistons std bore size, “”Any feedback welcome”” as they are slightly higher compression,any problems encountered???, I’d assume they would need to run minimum supper unleaded or possibly race fuel ???
also interested as these are 2nd on my list!
Mrd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 02:20 AM   #28
Iain
Achieved official socks
 
Iain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isle of man
Posts: 3,558
Car: AMG estate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd1984 View Post
Measure the block and see that the cylinders haven't gone out of round and just hone if all ok. It will save you a small fortune! Im pricing up pistons and rods still (will have the funds next month) and the prices are eye watering!

is this build just for road and occasional track use?

Im going to measure and see what to do. I'm not planning a turbo or supercharger so thats why I'm so interested in the cheaper rods. Still deciding on pistons too. I have almost found the end of the internet searching for just these 2 components!

Chady you are a lucky man!! Sounds like you've got access to all the good bits mate! good luck!
Bores 1 and 6 have a slight offset step, so there will be some minor deviation, ultimately putting a stock 3.0 piston back it and it would be ok, there is no scoring or anything really nasty but i am leaning towards boring it and using some s54b32 pistons with the crowns milled down or even some s50b32 pistons rather than just using an oversize b30.

use is mostly track day with a little competition, it may move to more competition in the future budget and location allowing.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 02:25 AM   #29
Iain
Achieved official socks
 
Iain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Isle of man
Posts: 3,558
Car: AMG estate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chady View Post
hi Iain. Head and block are ok as it’s out of one of our csl’s My lad just bought a brand new engine from bmw. So it’s just a spare running engine , as we have two std csl engine ‘s the whole point is to build something with what’s available aftermarket internal parts , haven’t any real information to back anything up, so all feedback is welcome, if it blows no real issue, but saying that better to be fairly reliable, am guessing bmw made even the csl engine on the safe side , so ther maybe something to play with , nothing scientific about this to just see what happens with a few bits built into it. I’m thinking most homebuild motor,s are guesswork. Could always hand motor to engine builder but where ‘s the fun in that, as ever feedback good or bad welcome with what’s available out there
I think if thats the case you are best off looking at whatever the biggest cam you can fit without going shim under, raising the CR a bit, 12.3 providing its only needing a light surfacing on the head should be ok. dry build it and check the clearance valve to piston and see how you go. there are stroker kits out there as well but they are punchy on the wallet.

Ultimately you can go bonkers, knife edge the crank, dry sump, vanos delete, head work shim under, ti springs and retainers, sodium filled valves slide throttles etc etc but all of these carry penalties in terms of drivability and longevity.

Last edited by Iain; 18th January 2018 at 02:39 AM.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 06:56 PM   #30
monkeyboy
Achieved official socks
 
monkeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gatwick
Posts: 906
Car: 2004 E46 M3 vert manual Laguna Seca Blue
Colour Combo: Laguna Seca blue, matching leather
Default

Had my bottom end rebuilt by Andy @ walkers Auto tec I went Oem on bearings & HG etc, originals were good enough to last 103k of (most likely p) being abused not warmed up correctly etc, So no reason they shouldn’t last longer being properly cared for.
Can highly recommend walkers very competitive price wise and really know their stuff
monkeyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:40 PM.


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies this website uses, click here.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - 2018 M3cutters. All Rights Reserved.