The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > Other BMWs and other marques > Other Marques

Old 23rd June 2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E93 M3
Colour Combo: SilverstoneII/extended fox red, all the whistles and bells as well.
Default Merc GLC-crabbing/skipping?

Thinking of getting one of these but just heard that they suffer from a design fault whereby on full lock at low speeds, such as parking, the wheels skip/crab. Its only on RHD vehicles not LHD and this is apparently due to the amount of space the steering/diff takes up on RHD models???? Colder weather also hampers the issue as well.

It appears that this fault develops across all wheel sizes and the problem can be eased with different types of tyres depending on what wheels you have. Apparently the problem is worse on full fat AMG models (43 and 63). Dealerships have suggested using new tyres, but it seems that this offers little respite because once the tyres start to wear down, the problem resurfaces.

This apparently also effects Audi A6, Jags and BMWs???

Are you thinking of getting one of these and not heard of this problem or do you have one of these and experienced any issues with this type of thing?

Flapps
Flapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 24th June 2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Biggles
Achieved official socks

Car: SQ5, M135i
Colour Combo: Mineral Grey/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapps View Post
Thinking of getting one of these but just heard that they suffer from a design fault whereby on full lock at low speeds, such as parking, the wheels skip/crab. Its only on RHD vehicles not LHD and this is apparently due to the amount of space the steering/diff takes up on RHD models???? Colder weather also hampers the issue as well.

It appears that this fault develops across all wheel sizes and the problem can be eased with different types of tyres depending on what wheels you have. Apparently the problem is worse on full fat AMG models (43 and 63). Dealerships have suggested using new tyres, but it seems that this offers little respite because once the tyres start to wear down, the problem resurfaces.

This apparently also effects Audi A6, Jags and BMWs???

Are you thinking of getting one of these and not heard of this problem or do you have one of these and experienced any issues with this type of thing?

Flapps
I donít have one but have been doing some responses them too, apparently winter tyres can fix the issue. Only problem is thatíll balls the handling up a tad on the AMG models.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2018, 09:45 PM   #3
E46CoupeM3
Achieved official socks

Car: 2001 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black

No way tyres fix a geometry issue unless they grip that badly you can't feel the issue
Also find it unlikely to be a geometry issue unless something bizarre done to make RHD models
E46CoupeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2018, 10:22 PM   #4
Moonstone
Achieved official socks

Car: 2018 RS5

Had this on my Maserati on Pirelli PZeros with the OEM mark on them. Changed for Continentals and the problem disappeared right down to them needing replaced.
Moonstone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2018, 12:32 AM   #5
JGB
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2013 BMW M3 LE500 Coupe & 2017 Msport 440i vert (LCI) MPPSK & 2018 Merc GLC 350d AMG line
Colour Combo: Stratus Grey - black int / Sapphire Black - black int / Brilliant Blue - black int

I bought a new 350d GLC AMG line in February I had read about the problem with the steering on lock so was a bit wary. Mine has 19Ē alloys (thicker rubber = non kerbed alloys when the Mrs drives it was the thinking) and I have had no issues at all. Iím really impressed with it, the larger engine suits it - The 220 and 250 are much harsher in comparison. It surprises a few people in Sport+ mode, itís deceptively quick. Got a really good deal as obviously diesel is the work of the devil
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2018, 09:44 AM   #6
Iatm
Achieved official socks

Car: M6 Gran Coupe LCI

I read up on the issue with I was dabbing in the e43 few years ago. I think it was made out to be worse than the issue was. Many cars with wide tyres etc make some noise when on full lock. It depends how often you use full lock on your steering.

I guess the best way to see if it annoys you enough is just go to a dealership and say you have heard of the issue can I just take on full lock round the car park just be sure not to give it a boot full of the right pedal and end up doing donuts.
Iatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 06:55 PM   #7
Flapps
Achieved official socks

Car: 2008 E93 M3
Colour Combo: SilverstoneII/extended fox red, all the whistles and bells as well.

Cheers Gents,

Kinda took the wind out of my sails when I heard about this but not going to let it put me off until I have a decent test drive. I'm definitely looking at the 350D specifically. Like the extra grunt if needed to get something this big/weighty out of danger/overtake etc on the move sharpish.

Not really bothered if its the fuel of satan(diesel) and I'll be curious what sort of deal they will be offering, I've seen the latest deal which ends on the last day in June but I won't be looking for one until late August early Sept.

Its either that or a Volvo XC60 or XC90.

Flapps
Flapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 08:33 PM   #8
rsk21
Achieved official socks

Car: Various - ex M4 vert CP

Google “Ackerman effect”.

It’s very common.

It’s disconcerting at first but has zero negative effect on your car.

Honestly it’s a fuss about nothing.
rsk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2018, 12:14 PM   #9
JGB
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2013 BMW M3 LE500 Coupe & 2017 Msport 440i vert (LCI) MPPSK & 2018 Merc GLC 350d AMG line
Colour Combo: Stratus Grey - black int / Sapphire Black - black int / Brilliant Blue - black int

I think youíll love the pull of the 350d - loads of torque.

Eerily quiet car at speed, but gives a very muscular roar when you stamp on it -

My neighbour wouldnít belive it was a diesel - even on start up. Itís quite a Jekyll & Hyde going from comfort setting to Sport +

Definately go for Premium option - bigger screen / better nav / Burmeister sound / pan roof etc

I also went for the night pack as losing the chrome makes it more of a handsome beast
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote