The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum
 

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 and M4 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2018, 12:22 PM   #21
schooner32
Achieved official socks
 
schooner32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,018
Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black
Default

By the time I had bought the OEM snorkel, paid for my ecu, bought sensors and various other hardware I was 3k Euro before all was functioning and working the way I liked.

I have karbonious. I'd say evolve will work out a tad more expensive but for an all in package it's not a bad price
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12th February 2018, 12:37 PM   #22
paulclaude
Achieved official socks
 
paulclaude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Glasgow / Stornoway
Posts: 1,276
Car: 2005 E46 M3 Manual 'Track' / 2004 E46 M3 Manual (Breaking for spares)
Colour Combo: Silver Grey / Titan Silver
Default

Edited to prevent excess PM's

Last edited by paulclaude; 12th February 2018 at 01:24 PM.
paulclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 12:39 PM   #23
Adamantium
Achieved official socks
 
Adamantium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,383
Car: Audi Q5 3.0TDi, Audi A5 3.0TDi Cab, BMW E46 M3 Carbon Black & Cinnamon
Default

you have pm.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 04:40 PM   #24
Stu78
Achieved official socks
 
Stu78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,436
Car: 04 BMW M3 SMG Coupe
Colour Combo: Mystic Blue / Black Nappa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGWWW View Post
I would recommend Evolve Automotive, forum sponsors and all round good guys.

https://www.evolveautomotive.com/evo...-smg-cars.html

I have this one fitted and it's a quality item.
These are a rip off and look like an elephant trunk though
Stu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 04:54 PM   #25
Stu78
Achieved official socks
 
Stu78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,436
Car: 04 BMW M3 SMG Coupe
Colour Combo: Mystic Blue / Black Nappa
Default

OP when I sell my car in the summer I may take mine off to sell seperately.

It's one of the ones from Germany and it does not look as good in the looks department as the expensive boxes but it's the loudest of them all. makes the Karb and the others seem quiet

Unless you open your bonnet when you drive or show your car I don't see why poeple pay 2.5 to 3k on one it's crazy money.
Stu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 05:13 PM   #26
7DT
Achieved official socks
 
7DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London
Posts: 1,062
Car: 2002 BMW M3
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Black
Default

I've just put in a karbonius. All depends how much you want to spend, but the airbox isn't the only cost. You'll maybe need a new ECU, a map, IAT/Map sensors and either wire it yourself, or pay for someone to do the wiring and install.

I can vouch for the karbonius being an absolute work of art though, almost felt a shame installing it!
7DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 05:49 PM   #27
simonas
Wearing official underwear
 
simonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wirral
Posts: 273
Car: 2004 M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Carbon Black/Kiwi Leather
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7DT View Post
I've just put in a karbonius. All depends how much you want to spend, but the airbox isn't the only cost. You'll maybe need a new ECU, a map, IAT/Map sensors and either wire it yourself, or pay for someone to do the wiring and install.

I can vouch for the karbonius being an absolute work of art though, almost felt a shame installing it!
do you feel like you get the moneys worth though in terms of how it drives now?
simonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 05:59 PM   #28
Greig fost
Wearing official robes
 
Greig fost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Duns, Scotland
Posts: 371
Car: 2003 E46 M3 vert, M140i
Colour Combo: Avus blue, mineral grey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu78 View Post
OP when I sell my car in the summer I may take mine off to sell seperately.

It's one of the ones from Germany and it does not look as good in the looks department as the expensive boxes but it's the loudest of them all. makes the Karb and the others seem quiet

Unless you open your bonnet when you drive or show your car I don't see why poeple pay 2.5 to 3k on one it's crazy money.
Hi mate, could be interested in this if/when you decide to sell 👍
Greig fost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 06:34 PM   #29
schooner32
Achieved official socks
 
schooner32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,018
Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu78 View Post
OP when I sell my car in the summer I may take mine off to sell seperately.

It's one of the ones from Germany and it does not look as good in the looks department as the expensive boxes but it's the loudest of them all. makes the Karb and the others seem quiet

Unless you open your bonnet when you drive or show your car I don't see why poeple pay 2.5 to 3k on one it's crazy money.
Do you drive with your head out the window admiring your own car. Applying the same logic, it's like buying an incredibly rough M3 but because the s54 is good and drives like it should then who cares what the car looks like.

It's nice to have things that look good as well as function.
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 06:39 PM   #30
zed650
Achieved official socks
 
zed650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,790
Car: 2004 M3 COUPE CSL
Colour Combo: ESTORIL BLUE / BLACK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m30ahd View Post
Can anyone tell me where I can find a decent airbox or induction kit. Or the one in the picture[IMG][/IMG]
There’s a genuine one for sale , in the “for sale “ section
Well worth the money
zed650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 06:40 PM   #31
zed650
Achieved official socks
 
zed650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,790
Car: 2004 M3 COUPE CSL
Colour Combo: ESTORIL BLUE / BLACK
Default

Member “Adamantium” selling his
zed650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 06:59 PM   #32
M3Loon
Achieved official socks
 
M3Loon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South London / Kent
Posts: 7,050
Car: 2004 BMW ///M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Suicide Black / Imola red napper
Default

Get a Karbonius it’s a no brainer, Evolve is lovely sounds great but a lot more money than the Karbonius, oem is lovely but very very expensive and believe it or not the Karbonius is built better and I’m told is louder, the GSR sounds ok but build wise is normally poor I’ve had the GSR but couldn’t live with the quality of the weave so now running an Evolve box but if I didn’t have that I’d go Karbonius in a heart beat
M3Loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 09:06 PM   #33
Jaxxman81
On the path
 
Jaxxman81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rainhill
Posts: 88
Car: 2005 E46 M3 SMG vert
Colour Combo: Carbon black / Kiwi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner32 View Post
By the time I had bought the OEM snorkel, paid for my ecu, bought sensors and various other hardware I was 3k Euro before all was functioning and working the way I liked.

I have karbonious. I'd say evolve will work out a tad more expensive but for an all in package it's not a bad price
This is what I'm thinking- for all the people saying Evolve is lovely but too pricey;

They're quoting £3k for the whole thing fitted parts labour remap wiring etc.
That's what I'm looking for.
You're the only person actually giving a total cost of getting the Karbonius box fitted and driving the way it should .. and there doesn't seem much difference.

Plus the fact Evolve have such a good reputation now in terms of being a proper recognised tuning-house where I could take the car back if it wasn't quite right- it's surely next best thing to an oem one.

I like my DIY around the e46, but really can't be arsed paying £1500 for just a box and then faffing about looking for parts/ wiring and ecu's etc.
Especially if it all adds up to £3k in the end!
Jaxxman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 09:22 PM   #34
schooner32
Achieved official socks
 
schooner32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,018
Car: 2004 M3
Colour Combo: silver grey/ black
Default

Well if I didn't want a functioning OEM flap I could have saved my self a nice wedge. Getting the H bridge put on to the ECU cost me a good bit more than just a map.
schooner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 09:23 PM   #35
ADL
Achieved official socks
 
ADL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 5,396
Car: 2005 E46 M3 manual coupe & 1990 golf GTi 16v & 2014 golf R dsg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxman81 View Post
This is what I'm thinking- for all the people saying Evolve is lovely but too pricey;

They're quoting £3k for the whole thing fitted parts labour remap wiring etc.
That's what I'm looking for.
You're the only person actually giving a total cost of getting the Karbonius box fitted and driving the way it should .. and there doesn't seem much difference.

Plus the fact Evolve have such a good reputation now in terms of being a proper recognised tuning-house where I could take the car back if it wasn't quite right- it's surely next best thing to an oem one.

I like my DIY around the e46, but really can't be arsed paying £1500 for just a box and then faffing about looking for parts/ wiring and ecu's etc.
Especially if it all adds up to £3k in the end!
It will be circa 2.5/ 3k in the end mate to do a proper job of it but imo karb box is as good or arguably better than oem. Pm Paul Claude for fitting and mapping if he’s anything like Martyn who he works alongside I believe you are in very safe hands.
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 09:28 PM   #36
Jaxxman81
On the path
 
Jaxxman81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rainhill
Posts: 88
Car: 2005 E46 M3 SMG vert
Colour Combo: Carbon black / Kiwi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner32 View Post
Well if I didn't want a functioning OEM flap I could have saved my self a nice wedge. Getting the H bridge put on to the ECU cost me a good bit more than just a map.
Right gotcha.

I need to go looking for the thread I'm sure there is one here; with a list of all parts needed along with the Karbonius box.
Need to price it all up ad then find a reputable Indy near me that will do it.
I only really trust Darren Woods up here in the Northwest
Jaxxman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 09:43 PM   #37
Bigfoot
Achieved official socks
 
Bigfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,116
Car: 2005 E46 M3
Colour Combo: Silver Grey / Grey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxman81 View Post
Right gotcha.

I need to go looking for the thread I'm sure there is one here; with a list of all parts needed along with the Karbonius box.
Need to price it all up ad then find a reputable Indy near me that will do it.
I only really trust Darren Woods up here in the Northwest
Here you go: http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140240
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 09:48 PM   #38
SINGH72
Achieved official socks
 
SINGH72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: TELFORD
Posts: 3,287
Car: E46 M3 COUPE SMG.
Colour Combo: ALCANTARA RECARO SEATS.
Default

+1 for oem csl airbox.
Cud be for sale soon.
SINGH72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 09:49 PM   #39
ADL
Achieved official socks
 
ADL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 5,396
Car: 2005 E46 M3 manual coupe & 1990 golf GTi 16v & 2014 golf R dsg
Default

^^i want first dibs in that strut brace if you ever sell 🙏
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 09:51 PM   #40
SINGH72
Achieved official socks
 
SINGH72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: TELFORD
Posts: 3,287
Car: E46 M3 COUPE SMG.
Colour Combo: ALCANTARA RECARO SEATS.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADL View Post
^^i want first dibs in that strut brace if you ever sell 🙏
Maybe soon.
Thinkin ov strippin it and puttin back to oem.
SINGH72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:43 AM.


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies this website uses, click here.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - 2014 M3cutters. All Rights Reserved.