The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum

Go Back   The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum > M3 Talk > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 13th March 2013, 01:29 PM   #21
M3boy
Achieved official socks

Car: Audi S5 4.2 v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eforty View Post
I read your thread the day before I got my Matador's, I noticed that nobody had tried them on an M3 so decided to try them for myself, the outstanding reviews for the Matadors goes back to 2010 and it was after reading those reviews I thought they were worth a try even if it meant later taking them off and replacing them.
I've put 500 miles on these tyres now and I've only just started to really push them because they're fully scuffed now and when I say 'push' I mean push, the first 50 miles were steady because they were lethal to start with but fun. The recent cold weather has had me wary at times but again it's been a good test for the tyres, they've stayed tacky and predictable in the cold and damp very much like the Vred's, I suppose if they wear out quickly it doesn't matter because of the price though that's not to say I expect them to.
I personally dont like the vreds, but at the time couldnt stretch to the GY Ass 2's
M3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 13th March 2013, 02:08 PM   #22
Mikey
Achieved official socks

Car: E93 M3
Colour Combo: Mineral White/Black Leatther

I was getting a 4 wheel alignment done recently and the guy that was doing it was telling me about these Matador tyres as they were on display and I was looking at them as the tread pattern is very similar to Continentals. They are indeed made by Continental and are really big in Europe apart from the UK which they have only really just broken into as such hence the cheap pricing he was telling me. He had fitted them to his own car and said he would not go back to a premium tyre again as these are just as good.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 02:13 PM   #23
DXB
Achieved official socks

Car: Beast
Colour Combo: White/black

I really can't see them being as good as a premium Continental. Especially when leaned on hard.
DXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 02:29 PM   #24
Stevecol56
Achieved official socks

Car: E90 330i (And loving It)
Colour Combo: Titan Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXB View Post
I really can't see them being as good as a premium Continental. Especially when leaned on hard.
Agreed, I am smelling something here and it is not pleasant

I fail to see how anyone can say they are performing better than my mates Conti, Vred, Pirelli etc unless you run one set on your own car, then swap the whole set for your mates tyres and drive round the same track/road in the same conditions.....! Only then can you say Yep these are performing better/worse!!
Just because you can go round a corner better than a mate could mean ANYTHING from driving style to air filter fitted!

But I cant explain the good reviews these tyres are getting?????? Hmmmm watching this thread for some REAL tests and comparissions!
Stevecol56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 02:35 PM   #25
DXB
Achieved official socks

I agree entirely mate, just because it drives around town ok does not make them suitable tyres for the car.
Old 13th March 2013, 03:00 PM   #26
Eforty
Wearing official underwear

Car: 2004 M3 SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I was getting a 4 wheel alignment done recently and the guy that was doing it was telling me about these Matador tyres as they were on display and I was looking at them as the tread pattern is very similar to Continentals. They are indeed made by Continental and are really big in Europe apart from the UK which they have only really just broken into as such hence the cheap pricing he was telling me. He had fitted them to his own car and said he would not go back to a premium tyre again as these are just as good.
I mistook the Matador tread pattern for GY Eagle F1's until I got closer, that's the next rear tyre set I'll fit to see how good the Matadors really are and because Contact 2's and 3's are the most expensive tyres I've ever fitted.
I find it difficult to believe anything that anybody says who's connected to the motor trade not least tyre fitters pushing their own stock though I'm inclined to believe your alignment guy, besides a Matador MP46 in 255/35/19 fitted will cost around 140, hardly budget priced so I don't see why most people expect budget performance, I also don't get why 265/30/19's are half the retail price at 70 fitted.
Eforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 03:11 PM   #27
Eforty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecol56 View Post
Agreed, I am smelling something here and it is not pleasant

I fail to see how anyone can say they are performing better than my mates Conti, Vred, Pirelli etc unless you run one set on your own car, then swap the whole set for your mates tyres and drive round the same track/road in the same conditions.....! Only then can you say Yep these are performing better/worse!!
Just because you can go round a corner better than a mate could mean ANYTHING from driving style to air filter fitted!

But I cant explain the good reviews these tyres are getting?????? Hmmmm watching this thread for some REAL tests and comparissions!
I said they ran better than my Khumo's and Vred's which WERE fitted to my car and driven for thousands of miles on the same roads in a variety of conditions, me and my pal use each others cars regularly for various reasons but like I said before the performance difference is obvious when comparing them to Conti's.
I have these tyres fitted to my car so I know how good they are, you don't know anybody who's tried them or have you tried them yourself so until then yours is just an opinion.
Old 13th March 2013, 03:17 PM   #28
Stevecol56
Achieved official socks

Quote:
I said they ran better than my Khumo's and Vred's which WERE fitted to my car and driven for thousands of miles on the same roads in a variety of conditions, me and my pal use each others cars regularly for various reasons but like I said before the performance difference is obvious when comparing them to Conti's.
I have these tyres fitted to my car so I know how good they are, you don't know anybody who's tried them or have you tried them yourself so until then yours is just an opinion.
Easy Tiger, you have your opinion, I have mine. Last time i looked we are still in a Demoracy and not a Dictatorship.
Old 13th March 2013, 03:29 PM   #29
Eforty

Quote:
Easy Tiger, you have your opinion, I have mine. Last time i looked we are still in a Demoracy and not a Dictatorship.
I gave more of a 'statement' than opinion with regards to the tyres I reckon
Old 13th March 2013, 03:31 PM   #30
Stevecol56
Achieved official socks

Quote:
I gave more of a 'statement' than opinion with regards to the tyres I reckon
Whatever......Not going down the who said what path mate! People will make their own minds up i am sure...Me Erm Not Bovvered!

Bye!
Old 13th March 2013, 03:36 PM   #31
j3nks79
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 SMG
Colour Combo: CB/Black

Crap tyres made from the sweepings from Contenantals factory floors. We stick these tyres on the cheaper cars we sell. Loads of road noise and not much grip from my experiance. Wouldnt put them on my M thats for sure
j3nks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 03:46 PM   #32
Eforty

Quote:
Whatever......Not going down the who said what path mate! People will make their own minds up i am sure...Me Erm Not Bovvered!

Bye!
Then why bother in the first place! most people (the op) come here for information based on the facts not useless opinions based on nothing but the doubts and maybe's of inexperience and I certainly don't come here for arguments or small talk, I've got a perfectly good Mrs and hairdresser for that.
Old 13th March 2013, 03:49 PM   #33
Stevecol56
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Then why bother in the first place! most people (the op) come here for information based on the facts not useless opinions based on nothing but the doubts and maybe's of inexperience and I certainly don't come here for arguments or small talk, I've got a perfectly good Mrs and hairdresser for that.

Yawn!
Old 13th March 2013, 07:55 PM   #34
alpinaman
Achieved official socks

Car: BMW Z4M Coupe

I fitted a set of the Hectora's on the back of my Z4M,as its appetite for tyres was wallet busting..

In my ownership it had Dunlop sportmax,Avon ZZ3's and MP46's.... IMHO the Matadors were the best..About the same grip as the Dunlops,much quieter than the Avons ..

I paid 130 for the pair fitted......Would i buy them again,definatly
alpinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 08:14 PM   #35
M3Loon
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Imola red napper

I don't get this, you have members who have tried these Matadors and rate them and rave reviews posted then you have members who have not tried them and slate them, if you have not tried them how can you slate them.

I,m a tyre snob I suppose and would only use conti,s but don't forget contis were designed 12yrs ago and these are or must be a new design so who knows they might be better and we don't know it .
M3Loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 08:20 PM   #36
JwilliamsM
Achieved official socks

Car: M3 Touareg CC
Colour Combo: Pheonix Yellow / Black

i havent driven a daewoo matiz but i know they are utter sh**e
JwilliamsM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 09:15 PM   #37
Stevecol56
Achieved official socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Loon View Post
I don't get this, you have members who have tried these Matadors and rate them and rave reviews posted then you have members who have not tried them and slate them, if you have not tried them how can you slate them.

I,m a tyre snob I suppose and would only use conti,s but don't forget contis were designed 12yrs ago and these are or must be a new design so who knows they might be better and we don't know it .
I is not slating them Loon, merely questioning them. I have learnt in life there are VERY Few things that are "too good to be ture".

You are right i have not tried them, and as i said in my first post i am watching the thread with interest in how this developes.

Call me sceptical or an old sceptic or just old, but if it sounds to good to be ture 9/10 times it is........!

Please bear in mind my signature when reading my posts! bruv
Old 13th March 2013, 09:18 PM   #38
DXB
Achieved official socks

Quite enjoying my Super Sports!
Old 14th March 2013, 12:22 AM   #39
M3Loon
Achieved official socks

Car: 2004 BMW M3 SMG
Colour Combo: Carbon Black / Imola red napper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwilliamsM View Post
i havent driven a daewoo matiz but i know they are utter sh**e
I have and you are right
M3Loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 01:04 AM   #40
tates
Achieved official socks

Car: 2009 M3
Colour Combo: space grey/black

We fit a lot of these to the local taxis.1 because there cheap and most taxi drivers damage there tyres beyond repair long before tread is illegal.those who avoid damage say they are a soft compound that wears out sooner than other budget tyres they've had fitted but they have reported good grip level in the wet.not sure they would last to long if pushed hard on a M.i believe they have the old tread pattern moulds " handed down" from continental thus they don't have the development costs so can produce a cheaper brand looking tyre for less.all I can say is in their class these perform at the higher end of the spectrum from my experience talking to people who have bought them.
tates is offline   Reply With Quote